About the opposition to HS2
Why are people raging against HS2? -
HS2ltd is a private corporation hand in hand with the secretary of state for transport.
- Destroying 108 ancient woodlands & many sites of special scientific interest (SSSIs)
- Pollution of 22% of london’s drinking water - 48.5 million litres a day will be destroyed.
- It will never be carbon neutral although HS2ltd claim it will be in 120 years.
- HS2 ltd have funded 16 police forces to facilitate the works and therefore the police are not impartial, do not protect people and do not investigate wildlife crimes.
- HS2 ltd subcontracted security and eviction teams are extremely violent. Protestors have suffered broken noses, collarbones, jaws, finger, spinal injuries, head injuries. Rope burns to the neck, bruising to the neck, have been choked out, held under water and sexually assaulted as well as targeted online harassment and invasion into private lives.
- Breaking the freedom of information act and not releasing requests for information, plus having over 250 organisations and companies sign a gagging order such as phone companies, the post office, councils and even the health & safety executive.
- Costing upwards of £150 BILLION of tax payers money,, at phase 1 being 127 miles long this is over £1Billion per mile.
Brief history of the wider protest -
The Stop HS2 official campaign began around 13 years ago by campaigners opposed to the project. Many local groups spanning the entire length of the proposed line began campaigning through petitions, lobbying their MPs, writing to the prime minister and appealing against all aspects of the destruction.
Some areas felt that to save at least some of the countryside, proposing a tunnel rather than viaduct would save some trees and ecosystems.
The campaign took on judicial reviews and challenged the breaches of current legislation such as the wildlife and countryside act and argued the project is not in line with the Paris agreement as we are in a climate and ecological emergency.
About four years ago some environmental activists set up a protection camp in the colne valley in Denham and along Harvil road north of Uxbridge. In this area HS2 are drilling the chalk aquifer and risking polluting 48.5million litres of drinking water per day which affects 22% of London.
The protest camps then began to expand around two years ago and to this day there have been at least 20 protest camps most of which have been illegally evicted by HS2 in very violent and brutal ways causing endless injuries and theft of belongings. However the activists remain vigilant and continue to occupy new areas of land and woodlands in attempts to protect nature and animals whilst campaigning still to stop HS2.
See Stophs2.org for more.
Please watch these videos to ﬁnd out more about why oppose HS2:
Victims of HS2
Mental and physical affects - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpedSSjp4oU
Living next to work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv8eqgw_qG0
Locals chain themselves to trees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dndwe0ddR30
Locals in Buckinghamshire affected by HS2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGjSDlWtLPc
Deforestation & ecocide
Felling and air pollution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktc2fz0HvRU
Arrests to protect hedgerows and trees https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se_9hbq6NbE
Felling and chainsaws https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGjSDlWtLPc
Interview with former govt climate change advisor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufz7qGb8-1g
Interview with the river chess association https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeM12zbHKUI
Water pollution discussed by Sarah Green in the Colne Valley affecting 22% of London
Woodland trust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3pvZEMJP2c
Wildlife crime confession https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWiu7zZR7Nw
Bat Massacre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fO4LGYPDzM
Harvil Road protection camp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGktM1JF_w
Freeman - 'They'll have to catch me and carry me out' (hear his track on the album)
Coverage of the Euston Eviction - 31 days in total https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVJ-IKwRZ0
Battle of Euston - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgNF6x1-xg
Battle of Euston - Interview with Pirate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkq95vcL3W8
Wendover Active Resistance camp in the news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlkkTEpbtig
Its Bonkers Boris - Its Bonkers https://fb.watch/4JoSdDcEy0/
Euston Camp pre - eviction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2_9jt1rBrQ